2 pounds cucumbers, unpeeled (about 8 to 10 Kirby, 10 Persian, or 2 large Japanese or slicing greenhouse cucumbers)
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp gochugaru Korean chile pepper flakes
2 tsp anchovy sauce (optional)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
3 ounces Korean chives, or 4 green onions, green part only, cut into thin diagonal slivers (about 1/4 cup)
2 tbsp thinly sliced onion
1. Halve the cucumbers lengthwise, then cut them into 1/4 - inch diagonal slices.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the cucumbers with the salt until well combined. Set aside for 5 to 7 minutes, until the cucumbers sweat and glisten. They will lose some firmness, but should still have a little crunch.
3. Place the cucumbers in a colander and rinse, then pat them dry.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers with the gochugaru chile pepper flakes, anchovy sauce and sugar and set aside for 10 minutes to let the flavors combine. Add the chives and onions, toss to combine.
5. Eat immediately, or refrigerate and consume within 2 to 3 days.